Monday, October 21, 2013

Going Public!

We found out today that we can post photos of Christy as long as we do not disclose her location or her real name!  I've edited all previous posts to remove all references to her location.  Please to not include her location if you know it in any comments you might post!

Today was AMAZING!!!!!!  Our first visit was a little slow at the start, but once I got brave enough to pick her up, she just melted in my arms.  She was a snuggle bug!  She loves the toys we brought, but the ping pong ball was her favorite!  The Lady Bug was second.  During the first visit we were mostly i nthe livingroom type of room, holding her in our lap, but we also put her on a mat to see her move around on the floor. She's really developed since the videos that we got when we committed to adoptiong her back in February!

She can now roll over, spin around while on her back, and go from laying down to sitting up all by herself!  She also sits unaided.  She's grown too!  We found out that she was moved from the orphanage to the group home in July.  They told us that she had only been fed by bottle, but that her swallowing challenges made drinking from a bottle hazardous for her (we will definitely need to work on getting her to learn how to swallow properly).  They have taught her to eat baby food that they make (it smelled really good and was like a mushy stew).  And they give her water by spoon very carefully.

They said we could watch her eat lunch, and then once she got started, they let me feed her!  The Daryl fed her some too.  We got some great video that we can send to the UW adoption medical clinic so they can make recommendations for feeding her on the trip home based on her swallowing difficulties.  She does OK with the food, but liquids will have to be thickened - I just wish we could get her some thickening stuff for them to use between now and the going home trip.  He skin is quite dry which indicates that she's not getting enough fluids.  She also has reflux pretty bad, so she lost some of the water she took in not long after it went down.

After that first visit we went out to lunch, and then back to the room to FB, blog and take a nap.  We went back for our second visit at 4 pm.  This visit was incredible.  She was a little sleepy when we got there as she had just woken up and had a snack.  We played with her for a while and then we were able to take her out into the backyard.  I held and hugged her for a while - she really loves snuggling.  Then Daryl took her and a miracle happened before my eye - I can't describe it, but I can show you the videos!




Right before our eyes her character and personality just blossomed.  She began cooing and babbling and that turned into laughter!  What a thrill to experience all that on our first day.  She also cuddled with her daddy too - here are my favorite photos from the day, plus a few more too!

Christy meeting her family through a photo album I created
that my sister had gifted to us!

      



She gives hugs just like Esther does, with her hand turned out!



Hand in hand, the beginning of a new life together!

6 comments:

  1. I'm in tears, I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!! She is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy for your family and new daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you! Many, many prayers! So excited you saw my girl, too. I recognize the director in the background of one of the pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth!!! I am so excited for you!!! I can't wait for you guys to bring her home and of course am praying for you guys. I have an idea on how to thicken water and give her incredible nutrients at the same time. It is Great Lakes beef gelatin. It will help in many ways but I'm not sure if/how you can get it to her now though...

    ReplyDelete